Friday, June 22, 2018

Wheland Foundry Trailhead- Beauty from Ashes.

And this is how it all began...the concept of this blog came from my DAY 2 goal to #walkthedog. Secret, the wonder pup, and I got in the car and I was going to park at Craven's House and hike up Lookout Mountain but traffic had other ideas for us. Och's Highway was closed and everything was a madhouse all around Lookout so I ditched my plan and decided to check out the the Wheland  Foundry Trailhead. As an educator that works across the road from this entry point onto the urban pathway that connects St. Elmo to Chickamauga Dam, I will often grab lunch and pull into the parking lot at the ranger station and stare at Lookout Mountain out my window while I woof down my delightful meal of Taco Bell. Sometimes 20-30 minutes to redirect your mind is well worth the leave. So naturally I had been wondering what lies beyond the parking lot!

So Secret and I jumped out of the car and started down the very nice, wide urban pathway on our Day 2 Adventure goal of walking/hiking different locations in the Chattanooga area. I'll be honest, I started the walk with disappointment because my original plan got thwarted and after the first curve my immediate thought was "Ugh, there isn't going to be anything beautiful about this walk." Typical Julie, always looking for perfection but as a friend told me just this week (and should be written everywhere so I can have a gentle reminder) Comparison is the thief of joy. So I immediately decided to start looking for the good on this walk.

You see, this trailhead goes right through the middle of the factories that have been part of the Chattanooga culture and landscape since around the early 1900's. If you know more than 20 people that have call Chattanooga home, you can probably do the Six Degrees of Separation test and find they know someone that has a connection to Wheland Foundry, U.S. Pipe, or Siskin Steel. And honestly, that whole quote by Walter Cronkite in 1969 that Chattanooga was the dirtiest city in America had a lot to do with these 3 companies. As you enter our city you see these factories and they have gotten much bad press over the years. I also know that they have given back to this community in some wonderful ways as well. For instance, the Siskin brothers founded the Siskin Institute for Children here in Chattanooga that does some marvelous things for children with special needs (and without) and their families. But needless to say, when you think you are going on a hike to enjoy nature, this area wouldn't be your top Chattanooga pick....or would it.


As I said, I started looking for the good. I noticed the little yellow flowers growing up between the cracks of the warn out asphalt that was fenced off along my walk. I noticed the run down factory standing in magnificent contrast to the Lookout Mountain. I saw the black-eyed susan's blooming along the pathway. The fragrance of mimosa trees intermingled with the creosote from the railroad ties as I walked along. I noticed the wisteria growing along the fence lines with the bright orange trumpet flowers and while walking directly under the interstate I came across some plump blackberries just asking to be picked. All in the midst of what would be considered ugliness, came this unexplainable contrast of nature and industry.

I obviously wasn't the first person to notice it. I mean, it became quickly apparent that was the goal of this portion of the urban path as I would past some really amazing artistic metal sculptures the irony of it all was not lost on me, nor on anyone that would be willing to see the beauty that these industries actually brought to the Chattanooga area for so many years. Jobs for our residents, metal for wars past, and businesses that invested and some continue to invest where they are still planted.

 When I first started this walk I refused to see it for the beauty that was there. I only saw the worn out buildings. But then I realized that the shade those buildings were giving me along the pathway was pretty awesome during the heat of that Juneteenth day. I also realized that I found a well kept secret...photographers everywhere bring seniors to a bright pink wall on the Northshore or a polka-dotted on on the Southside for that perfect "Chattanooga" pic...but I found this
black and white wall that everyone has been missing out on. Of course, Secret the Wonder Pup was happy to model (in a prone position) and take a little rest on this part of the walk.

And then it hit me, I thought... wait a minute, I've seen this building before! I remembered the photo that my children gave me for Christmas this year...and while I am fairly certain they were trespassing to take the photo, I'm thankful that I have raised two girls that can see the beauty in things much more quickly than their old mom can! I also realized, I'm thankful that they only know Chattanooga for the beautiful place it is and has been known for during their time here in the scenic city.

So I challenge you, head to the Wheland Foundry Trailhead and look for the beauty that comes from ashes and focus on #CHA the beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment