Saturday, June 23, 2018

Mountain Creek Road is my Hizzle in the Drizzle


Some days don't lend themselves to being outside but since I had just started this endeavor of walking somewhere different everyday with the Secret the Wonder Pup, I wanted to keep my streak going...and by streak I mean number of days walking consecutively...I'm not that kind of walker.

So one day last the forecast was full of rain and thunderstorms. I feared getting out on a trail somewhere and being caught in the midst of a giant thunderstorm so I put on my shoes, clipped the leash on Secret and we walked in the hood. Living on the Mountain Creek Road area of Chattanooga gives you perks to having the marvelous view of Signal Mountain and the often flat or rolling choices to walk on make for an easy walk.

We started off in Spring Valley Subdivision because the big loop in this neighborhood has less traffic and is an easy mile warm up. Many runners come through this neighborhood as part of their recurring path because it's a great place for being active...and here is a little hint for you- if you are feeling really froggy there is a power line easement that has a nice little path through the gigantic overgrowth that will take you straight into the parking lots of the baseball fields of Red Bank Middle and High schools. In the past I've put in some running and then headed over to the football stadium to do a few reps on the bleachers and then run the track....it breaks up the monotony of just track running. But once again, I digress...
On the day I'm mentioning Secret and I went through the neighborhood and had the delight of seeing horses grazing in the field, smelling the sweet scent of honeysuckles and magnolia blossoms on this drizzly Wednesday. As we walked past the pond in Spring Valley I had to stop to take a few photos of the blooming lily pads, and of course Secret needed a drink.
 We then took a left out of Spring Valley subdivision and walked to the walking paths next to Red Bank Elementary School (I believe that park is called the Mountain Creek Greenway). This day's walk was all on asphalt and concrete and more in the open than what Secret is use to doing.

About a year and a half ago Secret the Wonder Pup was lost from us for a whole week. Fortunately for us she was picked up by the wonderful people at the humane society. She had been hit by a car and had to have a couple of surgeries on her hip. This walk along the wrong was definitely not her favorite. She gets a little nervous around moving cars but I had her heel on my left side which put her a bit away from the traffic and she did better.

Once we were walking along the paths next to Red Bank Elementary, she loved it. There was an older lady there with a small dog that obviously wanted to meet the notorious Secret the Wonder Pup so we stood for less than 5 minutes and let them sniff each other a bit. Which leads me today's thought...this new endeavor is social. I really didn't think walking the dog at various locations alone would be something that would be social but Secret is quite striking with her one blue eye and one brown eye and most people say hello to her and even ask if they can pet her when we are out and about. People who are exercising are friendly as a rule. They say hello when they pass you...possibly because of the release of all those happy endorphins as you exercise?

On this day, we stayed close to home but the Chattanooga views and experiences were still top notch. This was a day that proved you can get the most of a day if you just put a little effort into it. In our fair city you don't have to go far to experience #CHA the beautiful. Get out and walk the dog- it will be good for both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment