Saturday, June 23, 2018

Rainbow Lake Wilderness Area- Upping our Hiking Game


So here is something I am learning fast...you better have a backup plan if you want to hike in Chattanooga. Two times this week my destination has been changed due to some unforeseen reason. Yesterday, I drove to Soddy Daisy, Tennessee thinking that Secret the Wonder Pup and myself would hike to the blue hole off Montlake Road. I start driving there and see that the parking area is closed for maintenance but our goal of hiking was not thwarted! Secret and I went to the Rainbow Lake Wilderness Area on Signal Mountain. We parked at the entrance off Ohio Avenue in the historic part of Signal Mountain (which I might say is worth looking up and reading about and just driving around before you go). This parking area is located right beside the Signal Mountain Golf Course and you actually walk right along the edge of the course for a little bit of this journey.  
So when I looked up the rating for this trail it was considered easy but I will say that Secret and I did not find it quite easy compared to some of the other walks I have done. Perhaps it was because it had rained a lot the previous day but there were times I found myself walking across larger rocks that seemed a little slick and you definitely need to be aware of your footing on this trail. 

  My goal was to take Secret to the lake and let her splash around a bit. She isn't a swimmer if she has her choice but she usually loves to splash around in shallow water. After a mostly downhill trek to the lake (which I kept thinking, "hmmmm, this is going to be fun going back") we were greeted by the sound of laughing children, swimming teen couples, moms on boulders, and dogs...lots of dogs. Lots of dogs not on leashes. I'll admit though, that had been my plan as well. Take the Super Pup to the water and let her roam a bit within my sight. Once I got down there I did not do that because some very large dogs were off their leashes and when we walked up the owners immediately started yelling at them to get them back on leashes. Another small dog ran right up to Secret to meet her. As a rule, Secret is a friendly pup unless you aren't. I'm thankful I didn't have a dog fight on my hands. 

The view was gorgeous and you could hang out in the shade or bask in the sun. We walked around the lake and worked our way down by jumping on boulders to the base of the dam's overflow.  There were probably 15-20 people there in the small area on a Friday morning so it did feel a bit crowded at times but it was still enjoyable. We sat for a while and watched the other people around us. Secret loved drinking water from the creek and there was this cute little dog there that she really wanted to get to know better, but we played it cool and started back up the trail. 

I'm going to be really honest here, that pull back up the trail made me feel the burn and sweet little Secret the Wonder Pup with a repaired hip had a wobble in her step on the way back up. I noticed on the way down that there was some strategically placed seating options after some of the switchback inclines. I didn't take advantage of them...out of pride, but boy I could have. I do think Secret and I will do this one again and go over to the Edward's Point overlook. I'll be honest, I had a hard time trying to figure out where I needed to go to stay on the trail once I got to the lake area but I think adding the trek over will be part of our summer as we continue to grow our stamina in this hiking challenge we have placed on ourselves (we being me, Secret is just along for the ride). 
I've thought about leveling these hikes based on a "Secret Score" because once we got back to the car, she was toast. I'm going to give this one a strenuous rating for a bad doggy hip and an old lady with a trick knee. But worth it, so worth it! Get out into #CHA the beautiful and explore more! 




















No comments:

Post a Comment