Friday, July 13, 2018

Greenway Farm- North Chickamauga Conservancy



I'm a Hixson, Tennessee girl. We moved to Chattanooga when I was in fifth grade and lived on Big Ridge. I have so many fond memories of that area and that time in my life. Hixson will always have a place in my heart. My father-in-law used to always say "You can take a girl out of Hixson but you can't take it out of her walk." I'm not really sure if that was a compliment to my mother-in-law (also from Hixson) and myself but we took it as one...and today, I took a walk in Hixson.

Secret the Wonder Pup and I headed down Hamill Road to Greenway Farm, for me it will always be known as Spangler Farm. As a kid I always was intrigued by this farm off Cassandra Smith Road that had cows but also a putting green right in the middle of the front field. It seemed so bougie before I knew what bougie was! But in 1990 the Spangler family sold the property that runs alongside the North Chickamauga Creek and the 180 acre park was eventually opened giving access to gentle rolling hills, trails, access to the creek and a dog park.


I have always enjoyed looking at North Chickamauga Creek because of its unique aqua blueness. Today Secret and I put in about 3 miles under almost all shade along the creek (but you can't really see it that well while on these very wide, nice paths). We saw more people on this jaunt than any trip we have done thus far. Trail runners and dog walkers were all over the place this morning! The Outdoor Chattanooga Barn is also located at the park and there were a lot of vehicles parked near this portion of the park.


I immediately noticed the labeling and QR codes across the park to identify plant life. It made me think of our fifth grade science teacher at CCS and how she wants to create something like that at our campus. What a great field trip this could be to show the students examples! I also had never noticed the cemetery dating back to the 1800's on the property before. Nor did I realize that this creek had been part of the civil war! It's amazing what you learn about your city when you take the time to look!
So I am currently in a quandary about our hiking expeditions. Secret and I seem to enjoy the more rigorous and less traveled paths so that she doesn't have to stay on a leash the whole time but I am currently ankle deep in poison ivy itching so I took a break from the more wilderness approach. I also like loop trails that aren't going to take all day to get done and if there is water nearby, that's an added bonus both Secret and I love. Am I getting too picky?

I did love this quick, easy hike today in Hixson and I think that's just one of the things that makes Chattanooga so great. Want to spend the day hiking in the area? You can easily do that. Want to get a quick hike in so you can get other things done? That's always a possibility too. Regardless of which choice you make you are bound to see something that makes you go "ahhhh" in Chattanooga the Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment