Monday, July 9, 2018

Gee Creek Trail - Branching out a bit for fun!




Secret the wonder pup was good as new this morning (after a couple of days of Advil and resting) and we decided to branch out a bit farther. This morning we headed to Gee Creek Trail because quite honestly I think I am the only educator at Chattanooga Christian School that has never been there! My plan was 3 fold so we had a lot to get done. As I drove through Benton, Tennessee and got just to the McMinn County border, I turned onto Gee Creek Road. At this point I immediately thought, "where the heyday am I going?" And then the banjo music began and I decided "Oh well, what the heck, lets do this"...the paved road became a gravel road and I pulled up to a horse and buggy with Mennonites on my left and thought, "this must be the place!" Secret and I waited a little bit to give the Mennonite family a head start and we hit the very rocky but flat trail.

 It immediately became a beautiful walk and perhaps one of my favorites thus far. The trail itself goes to Gee Creek Falls 2.9 miles in but we didn't go the whole way...call me chicken or lazy if you want but I was pleased with what we accomplished. Along the walk there are mini waterfalls along the trail and easy access to them. 

Thankfully I wore my Chaco sandals and Secret and I waded into the water a few times and enjoyed the cool air coming off the even cooler water. She LOVED today. She waded deeper than she has ever waded and lapped up water like it was a fine wine. I think it is fair to say we spent less time hiking and more time enjoying our surroundings. I think it is also fair to say that I probably rolled my ankle 6-7 times on the walk. When I say "rocky trail," I'm not joking. But I loved it!

After our walk on Gee Creek Trail, we went to Sandy's Blueberry Farm in Benton, Tennessee and picked 2 pounds of amazingly plump and delicious blueberries here. It's a great place to pick because it is located in the yard of Harold and Sandy Hood so there is no bramble to fight. Secret laid in the shade while I picked and my new friend Mike Stoner even picked some for me as we chatted. He was helping watch over the blueberry farm while Sandy was at work. I can't wait to bake a blueberry cobbler with these blueberries. She charges $2/pound and they are worth it!

We then headed back towards Chattanooga and took a side trip to the sunflower fields on Ooltewah-Georgetown Road at the Smith-Perry Berry Farm. And of course I had to get a pink bucket to support the Mary Ellen Locher Scholarship Foundation....which I wouldn't have known about if it weren't for my friend Cindy Pare. For $15 you can pick a LARGE bucket of sunflowers and wildflowers and if you choose the pink bucket, the foundation gets $2. Win, win!

Needless to say, today was a full day for Secret and myself. I'm enjoying the wonderful memories that we are making this summer as we explore the Chattanooga area. What will tomorrow bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment