Monday, July 23, 2018

Glen Falls Trail - "I thought that waz a barrrr!"





The day after Hickey Gap Trail I was hurting! My hip I feel on was sore but more than that my quads were burning from the steepness of that trail. I decided to take an easy trail the next day, so Secret the Wonder Pup and I headed to Glen Falls Trail. I've passed the entrance to that trail a gazillion times and never noticed it! It's literally on the side of the road as a pull off on Ochs Highway going up Lookout Mountain. In fact, you can pretty much hear the highway traffic for much of this short hike but it still feels like a lush green oasis.
This is definitely a meandering path that starts with kudzu right up to the path but quickly opens to a wider trail flanked by boulders along the way. Then you come around a corner and hear water and see a bridge. The coolness was noticeable on this very hot and humid July day. The falls themselves was more of a trickle but the clearness of the shallow pool at the base was very inviting to Secret.

We didn't see anyone at all as we made it to this point. We then when over the bridge and hiked around the ridge of a drop-off for a while before turning around. It was after we turned around that Secret noticed the stairs right before we got back to the bridge. At this point I could hear and see people up above the falls but they couldn't see me. Secret and I took the stairs up to the stone door and as we walked into the "cave" to come out on the upper side of the falls Secret startled a couple that was about to come back through. It wasn't her fault, she wasn't being aggressive or anything the man just wasn't expecting her and he yelled out "Oh law, I thought that waz a barrrr!" As I suppressed my giggle, I apologized and they told me they were from Mississippi and that THIS type of thing was what they wanted to see by coming to Tennessee. I had that swelling in my chest for Chattanooga the beautiful!

 The couple went along their way and Secret and I did some more exploring. We then walked back down the stairs and across the bridge and saw a mom with her two toddlers playing at the bottom of the falls. I told her she must be the smartest mom in Chattanooga taking advantage of that beautiful location and cooling off at the same time. I kinda felt sad that I had never done that with my girls when they were little.

The walk was short but lovely and well worth the day and I can imagine it is gorgeous in the fall as well. If you choose to do this hike it is extremely convenient to both Rock City and Ruby Falls, as well as the Starbucks at the top of the mountain! When you finish...make sure you eat lunch in St. Elmo-my favorite places are the Purple Daisy Picnic Cafe , Mojo Burrito, or Mr. T's Pizza. Wanting something more boushy? Head to 1885 Grill.






No comments:

Post a Comment